Returning to Australia and COVID-19 information for international students -

Close alert
Skip to content
close search
Close Menu

Student visa for Tasmania

To complete most courses you will need a student visa (Subclass 500). This visa will allow you to:

  • stay in Australia for the duration of your course
  • enter and exit Australia multiple times
  • work up to 40 hours per fortnight while your course is in session and unlimited hours during scheduled breaks, and
  • be accompanied by an eligible family member (conditions apply).

Please visit the Department of Home Affairs website for further information on the wide range of Visa options.

Graduate visa options for Tasmania

Temporary Graduate visa

After graduating from a university or vocational course, if you wish to live and work in Tasmania, you may be eligible to apply for a Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485). This visa will allow you to stay in Australia from 18 months up to four years, depending on the course you have graduated from.

Please refer to the Department of Home Affairs for more information regarding this visa.

State Nominated Migration

In recognition of the significant contribution international students make to Tasmania’s economy and cultural diversity, the state government actively pursues graduates who have the skills to contribute positively to the Tasmanian economy and community.

As a graduate from a Tasmanian institution who wishes to live and work in Tasmania, you may be eligible for state-nomination (visa Subclass 190 and 491) in Tasmania’s skilled migration program.

The Migration Tasmania website has all the information you need if you are interested in living and working in Tasmania after completing your studies.